Wednesday 25 January 2012

IKON



The current show at the IKON gallery features work from Stuart Whipps and John Myers.

I went to view the show last week, it was nice just to see some work, we get so used to viewing peoples work online you forget how great it is to view work as it is intended by the artist to be viewed.

My favourite part of the Stuart Whipps exhibition without a doubt was the main body of the exhibition “Why contribute to the spread of ugliness?” The focus of the work was on 486 boxes of paperwork from John Madin’s Architectural archives. Within this work are photographs of the boxes themselves, their contents and the building in which they represent.
I particularly liked the abstract architecture photographs and felt that presenting them on a medium format slide projector did them justice. The size and detail within the print room photographs felt like you could step out of the exhibition and into the photograph.


I recently showed my portfolio to someone who said they would like to have seen it as a projection display. I have used projectors in my work and had never thought about presenting my portfolio via a projector. I also think that some of the work I am currently working on could look really interesting in a large format. 

No comments:

Post a Comment