Saturday 9 October 2010

Jon Burgerman

So, on Wednesday we had our first visiting lecture of the year, Jon Burgerman!

I realize that Wednesday was 4 days ago now but this is the first chance I've had to write up about it. I've been working on a couple of paid jobs and been finishing off the work for the typography assignment due this coming Monday.
All that happily sorted but I've been struggling with the book assignment, which is frustrating me because I'm always thinking of projects that I want to make books around but being given a deadline in only a few weeks has made my brain go to mush because I automatically want to work on these preexisting ideas I have but I feel that they need time in order for the photography to give justice to the subject.

Jon coming in was some much needed inspiration!

His extremely placid attitude and behaviour towards life is infectious. He is confident about his work and his abilities. I noticed he didn't speak about what his work meant, just where his work has taken him and where his work is/has been.

Is that because his work speaks for itself?

but what does his work mean?

I later thought about where I would like my work to go, what direction, where do I want to see my photography being used and in what way?

Documentary, commercial, fine art?
With his work Jon Burgerman seems to have not even thought about these lines and merged them all together...how many artists can have there work displayed in galleries all over the world and then have the same print reproduced onto Pepsi cans?

Clever man! www.jonburgerman.com


No comments:

Post a Comment