Tuesday 2 November 2010

Connections

Connections is the word I have been given as a brief from photographer Joe Cornish.

Connection can be inturpreted into so many ways!

I looked into what I thought connection meant to me and how I can create intreguing photos. I looked up the defenition of connection and read about links, relationship and reconnecting with the past.

I want to reconnect with a technique I have used before, cutting out, but this time expanding on the idea. I also want to link the photographic content with the format 2011 theme, street. With the intention, if I am confident about the work I will find some influencial people to show it to.

I took some street photography before and did not enjoy it, struggled to find a focus in the chaos and ended up with rubbish photos. Thinking back I was maybe trying to hard to capture something that wasn't there, whereas this time I will be photographing with a more personal technique.

With this cut out work I have done before I see now that it can be greatly improved. There is no detail in the background, there is little texture. Other photography I create can be full of detail caused by reflections and atmosphere due to light and shadows.

My intention is to take photos of street scene and print them off A3, cut out numerous object and stand them up. Use light to create shadows in order to add to the 3D effect.

What can I do with the background? Leave it blank? Experiment using a backward projector, so shoot onto paper and put cut outs in front of that? Create a collage or paint upon it? Hang in objects in order to create depth?

I'm going to have to experiment with depth of field and scale.


I quickly found a few photos I had and printed them off to see how multipule cut outs looked together. The photo above is the first attempt.

I clearly need to choose the angle carefully that I photograph from. As you can see in the photo above the lion clearly does not have the same 3D effect.The darker contrast works better, but I think this could be improved still if the cut outs were not so harsh.




No comments:

Post a Comment